Monday, September 11, 2017

Heart of the School

About a week ago, Jeanne Lillig-Patterson, wife of Cerner founder Neal Patterson, passed away.  As I read about her and learned more about the work she did through Cerner and her foundation, First Hand, I saw the words "Heart of Cerner".  This is how Jeanne was known to her Cerner family and as I thought about those words, I began to think, who is the heart of St. Gabriel? 

Many people came to mind.  Ms. Terri is an angel.  Her title of "school sectary" does not do her job justice.  We all know that anything and everything that we need done, Ms. Terri is our go to person.  We are blessed by her presence.  Some might say it is the principal and while STG is in my heart, and will never leave it, I feel I am not the best example of the "heart of STG".  Others might say Fr. Joe.  He is our spiritual leader and supports STG is more ways than could even be named.  Still, I am pulled towards others. 

I believe the Heart of St. Gabriel is our youngest students, our two through four year olds.  The ones that can make each one of us smile.  The ones that make our middle school students say "how cute."  St. Gabriel has always been known in the Northland, for a strong early education program.  We have strong teachers and a community where everyone is part of a family.  We are so much more than a daycare, in fact I never use that word when talking about our ECLC.  We are an early childhood school for young students and we provide a strong foundation for their school years.  We teach more than numbers, shapes, colors, and letters.  We continue, with the help of their parents, to lay a foundation of our Catholic faith and what it means to live like Jesus.  Yes, when I think the Heart of St. Gabriel our youngest students come to mind.  The future of St. Gabriel lies in the hallway of our ECLC.  Those students will grow up to be part of youth program.  They will grow up attending Mass and becoming altar servers.  They will grow up and become our 8th grade class. 



In my opinion, they are the Heart of St. Gabriel.  They are the future of St. Gabriel.  They are part of us!  They are our students.  I am so proud of the school we have that educates students two years old through 8th grade.  What a powerful place, St. Gabriel.


No comments:

Post a Comment